Friday, July 8, 2011

friday...another layout and challenge (DCWV)

Ok, I think I definitely need to stay away from blogs that host contests/challenges! On the bright side, I AM getting my layouts scrapped...

Yesterday I was browsing and came across DCWV's blog and a challenge. The challenge is to to use the sketch provided and one of their stacks. Now, I haven't bought a DCWV in some time now (I think the last one was the Mariposa stack and is so pretty that I'm hoarding it!-There I admit to it!) so I dug DEEP within my stash and found this:


Yup, that's right! This is the Fall Stack (non glittery one) from 2008! I barely touched it and has been sitting in my drawer collecting dust ever since! (well, not really, but you get the idea!)

So I started playing with the sketch and my pictures from 2008 (coincidence? I think not...) on photoshop and started working on my double pager right away!

Here is the sketch:



and here is my layout:

I made a few minor changes to the sketch since I really liked it. I only mirrored the left page to better suit my pictures.

I used the fall leaves pattern paper for my background. A little tip to make your old pattern paper seem more appealing to you is to glimmer mist them with clear glimmer mist. It gives the paper a nice soft shimmer and they look newer!

Another little trick that I did on this layout was to ink the border of my background cardstock. I wanted it to be dark brown but I didn't have any more brown cardstock so I used a white one instead and inked the edges with my StazOn ink pad.



Here is the left side of the layout:


and the right side:


Here are a few more details:

I made the banner using one of the sheets included in the stack which had a whole bunch of words related to Fall/Halloween. I cut them in the shape of a banner, inked the edges and machine stitched them. I think they turned out wonderful!

I used brown thickers for the title to give it some dimension and not let the title get lost among all the words in the banner.

Finally, I used some silk flowers from Michaels' flower department and some stickled diecut/ punched out leaves.

I am very happy with how this layout turned out! Thanks DCWV for the wonderful challenge that made me dig down in my stash and use my 2008 stack!

3 comments:

  1. Nah keep doing the challenges. They are paying off for you by t the winning...congrats with the pit blog hop win. Besides you win even more by getting some beautiful pages done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [09 Jul 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. great lo!!! love the stack you used...i have it too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking your time to comment on my blog!